« Home | Ben Hammersley Captures Doc Searls » | Suggest a Weblog Host » | Stolen Sidekick - Net Justice » | Cocktail's 200th Anniversary » | Living with No Regrets - Eileen Cater 1946-2006 » | Byting the Bullet: New Computer Time » | Pana-scapes: La Denny's » | The Easter - Passover Catch-up: E Turns 80 » | In Memory: Teddy 1990-2006 » | Catch-up » 

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 

Radio As A Movie - A Prairie Home Companion the Movie


"Every show is your last show in radio." Garrison Keillor


My passion is still radio and broadcasting. After years of having my ever-widening fanny planted in front of an Avid, editing movies and shows, I can rarely watch television or go to the movies. While many people I know can spend countless hours in front of the tube or at a theater, I honestly don't enjoy watching them. However this week will be an exception. With Robert Altman directing and the story by Garrison Keillor about a live radio show that has survived television—we are off to a good start.

A Prairie Home Companion, the movie opens tomorrow. I intend to plunk down my $10-12 and be there to see it. I may even spring for popcorn.

Why would I go to this movie you ask?

1. I'm Midwestern and damn proud of it.
2. Birth infused me with the broadcasting gene. Which means, I remember when we did live television and radio shows at home everyday.
3. Garrison Keillor is the writer and emcee for the movie; he is also the real talent behind NPR's A Prairie Home Companion radio show. His humor comes from the heart. He could read a local phone book and make it funny. Where I come from Garrison is what we call "real talent."
4. I know where St. Paul, MN is-- and I've actually been there. Same thing can be said of the Fitzgerald Theater.
5. Over the past 30 years of the PHC radio show's existence, I’ve been to more live performances of PHC-- than I care to say. The same could be said of my devotion to listening weekly.
6. Then there is the central theme of the movie I can relate to: A large Texas Corporations (smells like Clear Channel to me,) buys the theater and this is their last show.

Add to all of these reasons and throw in Lily Tomlin, Meryl Streep, Kevin Kline and Woody Harrelson, and the entire Prairie Home Companion Band. It can’t be all that bad!