« Home | Living with No Regrets - Eileen Cater 1946-2006 » | Byting the Bullet: New Computer Time » | Pana-scapes: La Denny's » | The Easter - Passover Catch-up: E Turns 80 » | In Memory: Teddy 1990-2006 » | Catch-up » | Women's Short Program Results » | Valentine's Day - Question Tivo or HD Video Recorder? » | Michelle Comments Continue » | Results and Comments Olympic Pairs » 

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 

Cocktail's 200th Anniversary


This month we celebrate the truely American tradition of the Cocktail, which is celebrating it's 200th Anniversary this year. Events are being held in Las Vegas and New York City to celebrate this tradition.

As the child of a "Certified Mixologist" I learned early that good cocktails are created, not just mixed-- and presentation is a performance art. The proper stemmed glass or properly garnished drink can make or break a cocktails acceptance by the public.

I will never forget the night I watched my folks work on the art of making a properly layered Pousse-Café in a stemed cordial glass. It was a riot to watch them I'll never forget. What I did learn was the trick to layering the liquors is to S-L-O-W-L-Y trickle the room temperature liquors over the back of a small teaspoon into the Pousse glass (or stemmed cordial) so the layers can stand up on their own in distinct layers.

While there are several combinations to the Pousse-Cafe the Dallas Bartenders website has the best combinations listed over here.

I think tonight I'll make one of my oldtime favorites to celebrate. A Southern Comfort Manhattan, the way Mom used to make it. Here's to it 200 more great years! Cheers!