« Home | Being Thankful » | Enter: Cirque Dreams - Stage West » | MW & Andy  » | LA: Smog Capital of the U.S. » | RIP: Elmer 'Len' Dresslar - Jolly Green Giant » | Today's Reality Check » | Broadband and Traveling » | Final Titan IV to Launch at Vandenberg » | Reggie Outsmarts Three Gator Wranglers » | Riding Rita Comes Inland » 

Saturday, November 26, 2005 

The After Thanksgiving Report

Thanksgiving Day was relatively peaceful. We spent the early part of the day relaxing and watching the National Dog Show on TV. Andy and Teddy enjoyed seeing the dogs strut their stuff and watching John O'Hurley of Dancing with the Stars fame, dance with an Afghan. Years ago Teddy taught Andy how to watch TV, and now I have two confirmed couch potatoes when the dog shows air. Grrr... Don't even think about turning the channel to another station.

Later in the afternoon, we took Dr. Doug's mother to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at Jägerhaus German Restaurant in Anaheim. The folks who run Jägerhaus serve an excellent family style meal complete with homemade pumpkin and mincemeat pie. Sitting at the corner of Ball and Hwy 57, they are really in a great spot if you're ever in the neighborhood and need a bite to eat. They're open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just come hungry.

After returning home, I was listening to KABC-AM when the news reported that some stores were going to open at MIDNIGHT! I could hardly believe it, but for kicks we began sorting thru the mountain of ads. CompUSA and a discount mall near Ventura were opening at Midnight. I have always felt badly for the K-Mart employees who had to work Thanksgiving Day, but Jeeze, don't people ever take a day off to actually give thanks? Guess not. Gentlemen and Ladies, let the retail season begin, Walmart opens at 5 AM.

However you can count me out.

I did not see one thing in the ads I needed so badly I was willing to crawl but of bed in the middle of the night, and park my butt in a cold parking lot with several hundred insane LA residents in order to get my "deal." Not one thing. I will be shopping online in order to get what I want at a decent price, without the annual onslaught

I must confess that I did go shopping on Friday, but it was only to JoAnn's and only for 1 hour. I went to snag up a half doz needles for my sewing machine that were 50% off.

Other than that, I started reloading up the newly build (or half-built,) kitchen pantry cabinet in order to get the bins of food out of the living room. As I sit today, we're about 75% done.

Tonight-- we're going to coffee to resume the normal Saturday night tradition.