« Home | Final Titan IV to Launch at Vandenberg » | Reggie Outsmarts Three Gator Wranglers » | Riding Rita Comes Inland » | Liz RN Tells the Real Katrina Story » | Jet Blue Deverts to LAX » | Riding Rita and Rocket Launches » | I'm Back! » | This is Only a Test... » 

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 

Broadband and Traveling

Doc brought up the subject of trying to get high speed internet access (AKA broadband) when traveling. It's been a long term problem for me when we have to travel because for years I had the responsibilities of running several online forums. In the old days we had dial-up. Most hotels offered unlimited local calls so logging into CompuServe was a breeze most places, because they had the most dial-ups in the US. Today we have hotels limiting local calls, so dial up isn't an option. But many do offer broadband, which makes life a lot easier when Doug and I turn into roadwarriers.

Many hotels now offer broadband free. While Doc and I may enjoy a stay at a Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, my budget doesn't always allow me to stay in a luxury hotel.

Doug and I are probably your typical budget minded, internet savvy middle aged travelers who both travel with our individual laptops everywhere. We travel with a Linksys WRT54GC-FR Compact Router in order for both of us to get online at the same time. (Just like home.)

Our requirements for hotels are simple but specific: Cable TV with Foxx News, CNN and a decent movie channel. We want a refrigerator, microwave and an ironing board, a free business breakfast bar AND free broadband internet service, at a rate of no more than $75-100 a night.

Can it be done? Yep-- here's our short list.

1. Hilton: I've been a member of Hilton's Honors Club for years, and while some locations are more than the $100 price cap, the amenities normally exceed my expectations and with the cable, broadband, pool and other goodies it make a stay well worth while. Most hotels have wifi in the lobby and pool area. The Palm Springs Hilton has wifi that covers the outdoor pool bar.

5. Choice Suites: Free broadband in every room. In fact each room is a mini suite. Forgot your computer? Most properties have public access computers for the use of their guests to check email, website etc. They are excellent!

* * * * *
A while back someone clued me in on a list of about 2000 hotels that offer free broadband and many offer wifi (at least in the lobby.) HotelChains.com offers a lot of information.

Note: Do you have a cell phone? Does it have a cable to access your computer? If so, it's likely you have a modem enabled cell phone which can act as a cell phone modem. When all else fails and I need to access the internet when traveling, I plug in the cell phone and use my free afterhours, nights and weekend minutes to pick up my email. It may not be fast, but it really works in a pinch.